Monday 18 October 2010

Introducing a new generation of conservation leaders: Shantanu Goel


"I see myself leading a nature conservation organisation, working towards sustainable development of villages in protected areas of India. While my undergraduate degree at the University of Pune was in economics, my graduate degree, also at the University of Pune, was in ecology and biodiversity. Professional and volunteer work has further enhanced my skills. Initially, I was involved in wildlife and human impact research for the Indian Government. I then worked as a volunteer with local chapters of not-for-profit organisations such as WWF-India and Centre for Environment Education, and was involved in environmental education and promoting wildlife conservation.

I have also carried out wasteland development through watershed management and organic farming. I believe that conservation of natural resources, when directly linked to much-needed economic progress for marginalised communities, can promote long-term sustainable development. I aim to work on issues, cost-benefit analysis and outcomes related to participatory or joint forest management systems and the role they have played in conserving biodiversity. Documenting the outcomes of relocation/displacement of villages from the protected areas of India also interests me, as it could provide some understanding of the effects they have on conservation of species such as tigers."

No comments:

Post a Comment