Monday 18 October 2010

Introducing a new generation of conservation leaders: Franciso Oliveira Filho


"I am a biologist with a Masters Degree in Landscape Ecology from the University of Sao Paulo-Brazil, in which I explored the relationships between Amazon forest fragmentation and biodiversity conservation from a landscape perspective. I subsequently joined the development of the Surveillance System for the Brazilian Amazon Region-Sivam Project. In 2002, I started work with the Brazilian Environment Agency, and in 6 years became Vice-Director of Environment Protection. In this time, I participated in the development and implementation of the strategic plan Brazilian Government Plan for Deforestation Reduction and Control in the Amazon, which was crucial for the expressive reduction of deforestation in the past six years.

My next challenge was as head of the Protected Areas Program at WWF-Brazil, where I participated in the Brazilian Government Amazon Protected Areas Program (ARPA). This multi-institutional programme of the World Bank, KFW- Germany Bank, GTZ-German Cooperation, WWF, Brazilian Federal Government, Amazon States Government and civil society, had as its main goal, protection of biodiversity in the Amazon Biome by consolidating a representative portion of protected areas. My main interests in biodiversity conservation include systematic conservation planning, and tropical forest monitoring, particularly in the Amazon."

No comments:

Post a Comment